Wheelers ever thought of an Audax ride?
An Audax is different to a sportive, low cost, no signage, no feed stations, no timing, no broom wagon but plenty of fun, a café stop or two, and sometimes hot food and drink at the end, follow the links on the website for more details.
Listed are a few nearby events over the coming months, Uffington could be a good place to start!
There is also a PDF of events a little further away which may interest – Audax Rides near Swindon
Full details of each ride can be found on the Audax UK Website with details of how to enter, yearly membership to Audax UK is currently £19 per annum or you can pay a £2 sub per event you enter to cover temporary membership, more information about membership can be found here
- 200km 08:00 Cheltenham New Flyer BRM £6.00 – Enter
- 150km 08:30 Cider with Rosie 150 BP £5.00 – Enter
- 100km 09:00 Character Coln BP £5.00 – Enter
- 110km 09:30 from Uffington The Harlequin Hack BP [600m] £6.00 – Enter
- 53km 10:30 Blowingstone-Boomerang BP [424m] £5.00 – Enter
- 100km 09:30 Blowingstone-White Horse BP [1330m] £6.00 – Enter
- 200km 08:00 from Bath Raglan castle BR [2500m] £7.00 – Enter
- 200km 07:30 from Sparsholt, Nr Wantage Old Roads and Drove Roads BR £5.00 – Enter
Be aware this could lead you to some very long rides…
If you’re after something tougher than a sportive but don’t know where to turn, consider Audax events. They’re often cheaper than sportives, but what you save in money you’ll probably pay with your legs! In Latin ‘Audax’ means ‘bold’ so if you want a real challenge, this is for you.
To take part in an Audax, you need to join Audax UK as an individual before deciding which events to enter. If you only intend to do one or two, you can join for a single day at a time. Click here to visit the Audax UK site
A wee word of warning. If you’re new to this sort of thing, you need to know that there are rules about how to ride events; they include the condition of your bike!
Early in the year, there are some Audax events local to the Wheelers. Check our Ride Guide 2018 (particularly January) for more details.